Beautiful skin in a bottle: Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation

I started the year with a resolution that I was going to stop buying so much makeup and start shopping my stash. Unfortunately that resolution lasted about a week until I got properly introduced to Burberry makeup and there’s just no going back. I haven’t been this into a brand in… well ever! I really love how the whole range focuses on naturally enhanced beauty with very chic colour choices. It also doesn’t hurt that the Burberry girl at the Melbourne city store was so lovely and helpful (thanks Ashley!). So far I haven’t tried any part of the Burberry range that I haven’t loved but my absolute favourite item so far has to be the Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation.

First of all, just take a look at that bottle! Everything in the Burberry range exudes elegance and is just made to be displayed on your dressing table.

The bottle comes with a pump that releases the perfect amount of product.

It comes with a twist lock mechanism which comes in really handy (and saves your carpet) for all those times you don’t put the lid back on and the bottle falls on the floor…

My only issue with the packaging is how much of a fingerprint magnet it is! The beautiful metal with the Burberry check starts to look dirty after just one use but it’s nothing that a little wipe down doesn’t fix.

There are 13 shades available and , while I can’t speak to the lighter shades, I think Burberry did a pretty commendable job with their shades choices in the darker shades. The shades on the darker end of the spectrum have a good amount of yellow in them and I think there are an impressive amount of shades available (although the jump from shade 12 to 13 seems to be quite big). Check out Karlasugar’s post for swatches of all shades. Here’s a comparison with some other foundations in my collection. Click to see it bigger.

I picked this up in the shade Trench 10 and I have to say that this is a pretty perfect colour match for my skin tone. This doesn’t pull ashy on me and, if anything,Β  is slightly more warm toned than my complexion. The texture is really beautiful and a little goes a long way. The coverage is medium build-able and the finish is a natural skin finish that leans slightly dewy. I have normal/combination skin and I get oily across my cheeks and t-zone by the afternoon when I wear this all day but if I touch up half way through the day with a little powder, this lasts really well.

What I love about this foundation (apart from pretty much everything) is how weightless this feels on the skin. I honestly don’t feel like I’m wearing foundation and I feel like it gives a very natural but quite perfected look to the skin. I also love how this photographs and haven’t found any issues with flash back. I’ve worn this without any setting powder and found that, while it did wear away throughout the day, the texture and shade match meant that my skin didn’t look patchy. I prefer to set it with a dusting of MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural (although the Burberry Powder foundation may or may not be making it’s way to me right now… I know I have a problem!) or some translucent powder.

This final photo is how the foundation looks when I’ve done my whole face. This has definitely become my go to foundation during the day. The only thing not to love so much is the price. This product sells for a little over $70AUD for 30ml but I think it’s worth it for the quality of the product. If you’re looking for a new foundation and don’t mind splurging, I highly recommend this one.

Have you tried this foundation? What are your thoughts?

Categories: Burberry, foundation, swatch

15 Comments on “Beautiful skin in a bottle: Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation”

1. Sneha
    January 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM #

This looks GORGEOUS on your skin! I’m east Indian and I think your skintone is similar to mine. What MAC shade would you be? I’d love to order this Burberry foundation, but I hate shopping in stores…..

• January 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM #

Thanks Sneha πŸ™‚ I’m a MAC NC42 and a medium dark in the Mineralize Skin Finish Natural powder. I bought mine online after looking at karlasugar’s swatches and mine was a great match. I would recommend checking out her swatches to get an idea of what shade you would be. Good luck!

2. January 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM #

I really like this Burberry on you, thanks for doing a review with the make up on your face. Looks great

• February 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM #

Thanks MaryJ πŸ™‚ It’s definitely one of my all time favourite foundations that I’ve tried

3. January 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM #

this one looks gorgeous on you!! love the blush as well πŸ™‚ which blush is it?

• February 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM #

Thanks Parita! It’s the Burberry Blossom blush

4. February 3, 2013 at 4:37 AM #

This foundations looks amazing. Loving how it looks on your skin. Texture and everything.

• February 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM #

Thanks Beda! the foundation is fantastic and the texture is gorgeous. Have you tried it yet?

5. Jnnlopez
    February 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM #

I seem to be the same shade! I’m running out to get this! Based on your swatches I need to try a few other foundations as well! Exciting!

• February 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM #

This stuff is great. I’ve been neglecting all my other foundations because it’s so easy to wear! Lol that’s the problem finding someone your skin tone who has swatches, things get added to your wish list far too easily!

6. Kristen
    June 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM #

That foundation looks beautiful on you.
    I might have to try this.
    What color is the burberry lipgloss in the picture?
    That looks so pretty as well!

• June 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM #

Thanks Kristen πŸ™‚ The Burberry gloss in the picture is the shade Vintage Gold and I definitely recommend it! It goes on sheer on my lips but adds a lovely subtle bronze tint. I love pairing it on top of nude lip shades.

7. September 28, 2013 at 4:19 AM #

thank you for the awesome review, these are really beautiful photos!

• October 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM #

Thanks Ilona!

I’ve also been trying out the Burberry Velvet foundation for over 2 months now and I love that just as much. I really should get around to posting about it soon…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Burberry Light Glow Rose Blush | Bug's Beauty Blog - November 11, 2013

[…] how much I’ve raved about Burberry products on my blog such as here and here, it’ll come as no surprise that I’m a fan of this blush. The packaging is chic, the […]