Joan Smalls Vogue Australia Cover Inspired FOTD

Joan Smalls is absolutely stunning and always looks gorgeous but I especially fell in love with this cover look from the April 2012 issue of Australian Vogue. The look is like a modern pin up look substituting red lips for an amazing vampy deep purple lip instead. I think it’s the perfect fall look and would look amazing at night.

Estee Lauder listed the products used to get the looks as follows;
“On the face she wears Invisible Fluid Makeup in shade 5WN1 (on counters early May); on the eyes Pure Color Five Color EyeShadow Palette in Bronze Dunes, Intense Kajal EyeLiner in Blackened Black and Sumptuous Extreme Mascara in Extreme Black; on the cheeks Pure Color Blush in Hot Sienna (available at the end of the month); and on her lips Double Wear Stay-in-Place Lip Pencil in Wine and Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick in Plum Couture”

I didn’t have any of the listed products so I used my own to do an inspired look. It didn’t come out exactly the same but I still really liked it. The combination of the warm bronze toned eyes and the cool purple lips work really well together and I’ll definitely be wearing out various versions of this look during this autumn season.

Since I didn’t have the Estee Lauder Bronze Dunes eyeshadow palette that was apparently used to get the original look, I went online and looked at swatches and reviews to find shades that were as close as I could get. After lots of research, I found some possible dupes using one of Benefit’s Show Off’s loose powder (now discontinued), 2 shades from the Dior Iridescent Leather quint, MAC Brown Script eyeshadow and a shade from the Bare Escentuals Playlist palette.

I’ve swatched the shades used below in the order that they’re numbered in the picture above.

I didn’t have any idea how exactly the shades were used so I just went with what I thought looked similar. To get my version of the look I applied the orangey-copper shade (shade #3 above) all over the lid. Next I took the yellow-gold shade (shade#1 above and applied it to the inner third of the lid and around the tear duct. I applied the dark taupey-bronze shade (shade #5 above) to the outer corner and used it to define the crease. I blended this colour quite high up the eye. I used the matt browny-red shade (shade #4 above) to blend out the crease colour and to give the browbone some warmth. I finished the eyeshadow by applying the white highlight shade (shade #2 above) right under the brow and to highlight the inner corner of my eye. I finished up with some of my Shiseido liquid liner and a coat of the Estee Lauder Sumptuous Bold Volume Lifting Mascara.

To get the lip colour I started off by lining and filling my lips with NYX Purple Rain lipliner. Then I mixed some of the Kate Moss for Rimmel Lasting Finish lipstick in shade #4 (dark purple) with Revlon Lip Butter in Lollipop (pink with blue irridesence) and applied it to the lips. I finished up by pressing some of the MAC Reflects Blue glitter on to my lips. If you wanted a darker lip, you would just add more of the darker lipstick to the mix.

I tried to keep the skin light so I mixed some Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation with my Becca Luminous Skin Perfector. I set the skin with MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural and then applied some NARS Taj Mahal blush to my cheeks. I also filled in my brows as the look really works with a stronger defined brow.

Categories: FOTD, Inspired

12 Comments on “Joan Smalls Vogue Australia Cover Inspired FOTD”

1. April 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM #

That look suits you so much Ahalya, I would never think to pair a plum lip with an eye like that but it really does pair well together. I love the way you mixed lip products to make that shade, the blue reflects really make it pop without looking like glitter. Beautiful, as always. x

2. April 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM #

You look absolutely stunning! That makeup and lipcolor is perfect for you. I know you mixed your shades to get that colour, but you need to get yourself to the shops stat and find a lipstick in that exact same shade! Stat!Lilitxo

3. April 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM #

AMAZING look. I love Joan Smalls' face! And I think you nailed it! You look gorgeous!

4. April 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM #

Your skin looks amazing! Such a beautiful look. 🙂

5. April 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM #

that cover is magnificent, she's just so classy and gorgeous. i really like your recreation too

6. April 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM #

Thanks so much Emma! I’m glad to finally have a reason to use one of my reflects glitters! They’ve just been sitting in my drawer collecting dust :)Lilit: Thank you 🙂 I did kind of fall in love with that lip colour so I will make sure I try and track down a dupe in one product, Stat! LolThanks Arianne! She does have the most stunning face! Uptownmagnolia: Thank you so much :)Vonnie: Tell me about it! There are more images with the same makeup in the magazine and she looks amazing in every shot! Thanks for the lovely comment 🙂

7. April 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM #

Pretty look!love your earrings..and lip color looks gorgeous on you!!

8. Vanessa
    January 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM #

This is a great look — and I love the lip.

• February 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM #

Thanks Vanessa! I love that lip combo too, I just wish it didn’t take so many products to recreate!

9. November 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM #

Your skin looks amazing here. Good combo.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipsticks- Vivid’s part 2 | Bug's Beauty Blog - November 12, 2013

[…] I love these kind of shades because they have a blue iridescence running through them that just adds so much dimension. Hot Plum is the shade that would result if the other two lipsticks swatched below were mixed together. It’s cooler toned than Revlon Colorburst in Lollipop but warmer toned and more opaque than MAC Style Curve. It also doesn’t have as much of the blue iridescence of either shade but you can add some by using something like the MAC Reflects Blue glitter. […]