Race Day EOTD with Maybelline Charcoal Smokes Quad

It’s that time of the year again when everyone in Melbourne puts on their pretty dresses and fancy hats to take part in the race that stops a nation. I am of course talking about the Spring Racing Carnival! For those who aren’t from Australia, the Spring Racing Carnival and the Melbourne Cup are a pretty big deal over here and for most of us it’s just an excuse to dress up and have a fun day out.

Instead of going to the races this year, my friend decided to book us in for High Tea at the Windsor so that we’d still have a reason to dress up and look pretty. I wanted to try out a look that was sultry but sophisticated so I thought it was the perfect time to try out the Maybelline Stylish Smokes Quad in Charcoal Smokes that I picked up the other day (review coming soon). I think the look is perfect to wear to the races and hopefully you agree!

Race day makeup should ideally be elegant and understated as the outfits usually comprise a statement piece such as a fascinator, big hat or bright dress. The look I decided to go with was a very simple grey smokey eye and I used all the colours in the quad to get the look. I used the lid colour and crease colour as labelled but I decided to use the ‘base’ shade as an inner corner highlight and the ‘liner’ shade to darken the crease.

I used the shadows on top of my Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Illusoire and it acted as the perfect smokey base.

I won’t get a chance to wear my new fascinator out to the races this year so I thought I’d throw in a few pictures just for fun πŸ™‚

Are you heading to the races this year? What’s your favourite look for an elegant day out? Let me know below!

Categories: EOTD, Maybelline, Race Day

10 Comments on “Race Day EOTD with Maybelline Charcoal Smokes Quad”

1. October 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM #

Wow! I love Maybelline's range of smokey eyeshadow quads! I have the 'natural smokes' one which is lovley. Love your fascinator!

2. October 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM #

Very pretty makeup look! Love the fascinator too πŸ˜€

3. October 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM #

the hat made the look! love it!

4. October 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM #

Gorgeous!

5. October 30, 2011 at 1:30 AM #

Gorgeous look! Very sophisticated indeed! πŸ™‚

6. October 30, 2011 at 4:02 AM #

You look so elegant in these pix. I've been pretty happy with the Charcoal Smokes palette too – it came away with me on holiday as my go-to palette for my evening makeup.

7. October 30, 2011 at 7:13 AM #

No races for me, unfortunately. You look divine in your hat and makeup!

8. October 30, 2011 at 9:07 AM #

Love the fascinator! You totally should have worn yours at high tea! hehehe. Great catch up and great food – see you soon!!!xoxo

9. November 5, 2011 at 2:16 AM #

What's on your lips? You look fantastic! Love the fascinator too…

10. November 29, 2011 at 12:51 AM #

Australian Beauty: Thanks! I have Natural Smokes as well and they're pretty great especially for the price!Kayleigh: Thanks πŸ™‚ I just wish I'd actually had the chance to wear it out somewhere!Ilikepretty: I agree :)Thanks Jennifer!Dempss01: Thank you :DVita: I love having these cheaper palettes to travel with since you don't sacrifice on quality too much and you don't have to worry if something happens to them!Jen; No races for me either 😦 Thanks for the lovely comment though! Achowchow: Lol that would have been a bit of a sight. Loved your gorgeous red lips though!Karyn: You know I was trying to figure out what it was but from memory, all I had put on was some clear lip balm!