Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Illusoire: Love at first swatch

One of the few things I actually purchased overseas was this Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Illusoire and I have used it constantly since I got it.

It came packaged with its own little brush that fit snugly into the box.

The brush is of a really good quality but I already have too many eyeshadow brushes so I’ve been using it as lip brush and it is perfect for that. It’s also great to throw in your makeup bag when you’re out and about because it has a cap.

The jar is almost the same size as a MAC Paint Pot except the Chanel jar holds 4g and the MAC comes with 5g.

These texture of these shadows is hard to describe and it’s some type of gel/cream/mousse texture. The product is bouncy when you touch it and you can actually see it spring back up when you press the top down.

I picked up Illusoire which is a purpley-taupey-silvery shade that is so stunning and oh so Chanel. That may not be the most sophisticated description but it’s hard to describe any other way. I was told by the Chanel MUA that this is the shade that is used in the promo images.

There is quite a lot of shimmer in this product but it’s not obnoxious in your face shimmer but this beautiful fine shimmer which flashes purple in the light.

What I love about this product is that it’s so lightweight but it can still be built up to provide quite an intense look. The finish is so lovely that I’ve been wearing it on its own quite a lot with no shadow applied on top. This is actually quite rare for me as I don’t like the look of most cream type shadows on their own but this Chanel product is so unique.

For an easy effortless subtle smokey eye I’ve been applying a sheer wash of this over my lid using my finger. I do like to blend out the edge with a blending brush but it’s not necessary. The product doesn’t dry too quickly so you get enough time to blend it if you decide to.

For a more intense look it works well applied with the supplied brush or any other flat synthetic brush. I tend to apply the product this way when I plan on using it as a base under powder shadows. I have an EOTD using this as a base coming up soon so you’ll be able to see how it looks.

The wear time on this is great and I’ve been able to get through an 8 hour day with minimal to no creasing. I do always apply it over Urban Decay Primer Potion though so I can’t speak to how well it lasts with no primer.

I picked this up for $37 from memory and I don’t regret the purchase for a second. I’m actually eyeing a few of the other shades and will be going back for them soon. I do admit that it is quite pricey though when compared with other similar products from other brands but I think it’s well worth the splurge.

Have any of you picked up any of the Illusion d’Ombre’s? What are your thoughts on them?

Categories: Chanel, eyeshadow, swatches

9 Comments on “Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Illusoire: Love at first swatch”

1. September 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM #

That colour looks great! And just feels amazing to own some Chanel right? Lol xx

2. September 14, 2011 at 1:23 PM #

I love the lighter swatch on your eyelid – such an effortless colour for everyday!

3. September 14, 2011 at 8:06 PM #

Wow, I love it. I love a good cream-like shadow. I don't have anything from Chanel other than one of their cream bronzers but really want to start my Chanel collection..lol. Hope you are doing wellxxAlicia

4. September 15, 2011 at 1:19 AM #

It's a gorgeous colour Mez πŸ™‚ Lol nothing beats Chanel and I have to admit that I've become a bit addicted and forsee lots of unnecessary Chanel purchases in the near future ;)I agree Ki! I usually love fussy eye looks but this shadow has won me over enough that I'm willing to go back to one shadow looks.I have wanted the cream bronzer for sooooo long which makes no sense since it probably won't realy show up on me but it just looks so nice πŸ˜€ I'd hate to be a bad influence but you should try these shadows because they're gorgeous! And I'm doing fab. Thanks for asking! Hope life is treating you well also xx

5. September 15, 2011 at 1:56 AM #

It looks so sheer when swatched but turns up beautifully on your eyes! I've ordered Mirifique- can't wait to try it!

6. September 15, 2011 at 3:13 AM #

Wow!! that looks super gorgeous!! I have not indulged into CHANEL yet but I might now:)

7. September 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM #

Jen: Mirifique looks gorgeous but I've already got a somewhat black cream shadow and I hardly ever do a smokey eye so I thought something subtler would be the way to go. Can't wait to see swatches/EOTD's once you receive it!Giggle Girlie Gang: Trust me, once you start with Chanel there's no going back πŸ˜‰

8. September 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM #

Ooh, I like, but the glitter-phobe in me is thinking the big specks of shimmer will be too much. Are the two photos of your eye of the same application or have you added more on the second?

9. September 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM #

Turnip: Oops! Sorry I thought I labelled the pictures properly but seems like I forgot. The first is the product applied lighter with my finger and the second picture is the product applied with the supplied brush. Using the brush makes the product go on much thicker. I think if you're a glitter-phobe then it's probably best to check it out in person. I would say these contain shimmer rather than glitter but then again I love glitter so maybe don't take my word for it πŸ˜‰