Bollywood inspired Kohl Rimmed EOTD/FOTD

My mum and aunty were watching a bollywood TV show last night and, even though I couldn’t understand what was going on and was put off by the major overacting, I was captivated by the makeup. Every single actress seemed to have these gorgeous heavily kohl rimmed eyes like the picture below:

It seemed like the perfect look to try out since kohl (kajal) is a big seller here in Sri Lanka. I don’t usually use kohl on my eyes as I prefer liquid liner but my mum loves it so luckily she had one on hand.

The brand she prefers is Blue Heaven which is an Indian makeup brand which is very popular for their range of kajal liners. These liners are all advertised as being lead free and is the liner that Carrie buys and wears in Sex and the City 2 when she stops by the souk in Abu Dhabi.

I swatched it next to my NYX Studio Effect Liquid liner so you could get an idea of how black it is. The first swatch on the left is the product swatched heavily, then lightly and the swatch on the right is the NYX liquid liner. The product is black but it isn’t by any means the darkest kohl liner/pencil liner I own.

I don’t usually rim my eyes all the way around as I feel like the look is a bit harsh for my face but I do love the look in general, especially on girls with blue or green eyes as it just makes those eye colours pop.

To get the look, I used a mixture of Kajal and my liquid liner and did the following:

First I primed my lids with Urban Decay Primer Potion as I didn’t want my liner to slip all over the place. Even if you don’t use any eyeshadow, it’s still a good idea to prime your lids when lining, especially if you have a problem with your liner transferring.
Next I used my MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural in Medium Dark all over my lid from lashline to brow bone.
I took some NYX Dark Brown eyeshadow into the crease to give my eyes more definition and winged the colour out slightly.
Next I took some of the Blue Heaven Kajal on an eyeliner brush and applied it all around my eye and on to my waterline. I elongated the outer edge slightly to give a bit of a cat eye effect. I like applying kajal with a brush for lining on my skin as I think it’s too soft and imprecise to use otherwise. I apply it straight from the bullet on to my waterline.
I went over the kajal on my top lashline with my NYX Studio Effects Liquid Liner in Extreme Black.
If I had any with me, this is also where I would set my bottom liner and possibly even my top liner with black eyeshadow to stop it from moving.
I carefully applied MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NC42 to my under eye area and set it with powder.
I then applied Loreal Voluminous Mascara to my lashes.
This look works really well with dramatic lashes if you have them and I would add some for a night out to enhance the look.

For the rest of my face I applied my foundation mix that I talked about in my last post, set it with MAC Mineralized Skin Finish Natural in Medium Dark and applied NARS Taj Mahal blush to my cheeks.

I also did some light contouring under my cheek bones with NYX Dark Brown eyeshadow.
I finished off the look by applying MAC Stud Brow crayon on my eyebrows and applied Loreal Glam Shine Cream Lipstick in Sweet Nude on my lips.

Categories: EOTD, FOTD

11 Comments on “Bollywood inspired Kohl Rimmed EOTD/FOTD”

1. August 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM #

I really like this! I have very dark eyes and lining them with black always brings out the warm, golden brown tones in them. Doesn't it just make you feel so sultry and "exotic"?

2. August 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM #

being an Indian i'm very fimilar with kajal..but it makes my eyes look very small..and it always sudges and slips around…but it's always handy to carry one…i do love how dark they are.ruhihttp://ruhi-virtually-yours.blogspot.com/

3. August 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM #

ahi i love it! it is a super wedding look. try and do a post of aunty and your mum's eyes..also look up their young photos..love m

4. August 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM #

Aseya: Lol it actually makes me feel like I look more b*tchy than anything else but it definitely does make most people look more exotic. I think you look awesome with your eyes rimmed like this and you're right, it does bring out the warmth in them :)Ruhi: I think it makes my eyes look smaller as well which in turn makes me look meaner so I usually don't bother with this. Lol cuz, I can't imagine you wearing this to your wedding but it is a very Sri Lankan/Indian type wedding look. I think you should probably keep it more natural for yours :)As for the sisters, they won't let me photograph them because they don't want their faces up here sadly enough :(I've been looking at old pics and they're all gorgeous and super stylish. Was planning on using one in a post soon. xx

5. August 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM #

This makes you look quite exotic πŸ™‚ Hi, new follower here btw! I found your blog on MakeupandMacaroons sidebar thingie, and I really like it πŸ™‚

6. August 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM #

You look beautiful! I don't line my eyes all the way around either bc I have small asian eyes & I feel they close me off too much. But you can pull it off! Nice!

7. August 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM #

Stunning on you!! I love how you wore the eyeliner glossy, not matte. I think it's just as striking on you as it would on blue/green eyes.

8. August 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM #

I actually just purchased one of these liners exactly the same brand, what a coincidence lol . I think it looks great on u xx

9. August 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM #

Y: Thanks for following and thanks for the comment πŸ™‚ It's always nice to hear someone likes my blogMzCherrie: Thanks πŸ™‚ Maybe it's a look I'll learn to like on myself after I've worn it a few times.Thanks Arianne! It's the NYX liner that leaves that glossy look. I love it because it's super black and finishes to a patent leather type look. Thanks Mez πŸ™‚ Lol that is a coincidence! Can't wait to see what you do with it, I'm sure it'll be something gorgeous as always xx

10. August 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM #

it looks great on you. how's the staying power? does it stay on waterline?

11. September 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM #

prettymom: The staying power is OK but I find that pretty much nothing stays on my waterline for too long.