EOTD Challenge: Geisha

Today’s EOTD/FOTD challenge for Sara-May’s ‘May 2011 FOTD challenge’ was Geisha. There are so many different interpretations of this theme ranging from traditional looks all the way to really modern/funky looks. My all time favourite interpretation though has to be the look Francois Nars did on Daphne Guinness for the NARS Bento Box promo images. It’s so simple yet striking so I gave it a go.

I didn’t get the liner exactly right. I think the wing is a bit more curved then mine came out. It also seemed like it was lacking a bit of definition so I decided to work a bit of MAC Print eyeshadow (a dark matte grey) into the crease.

To get the white base I layed down some Urban Decay Primer Potion, topped it with NYX Jumbo eye pencil in Milk and then patted Sugarpill Tako eyeshadow all over the top. I used MAC Blacktrack fluidline to draw in a general shape for the eyeliner and then went over it with Rimmel Exaggerate black liquid liner. I also used Rimmel white soft kohl pencil on the water line.

Next I attempted to get the same type of lip shape as in the NARS image. The lipshape is very long with exaggerated points on the cupid’s bow like they did in the 1920’s. The problem is that my lips are fuller and more of a rounded shape than Daphne’s longer/narrower lip shape so even after I tried to elongate my lip shape and draw within my lip line, they still came out looking too rounded.

To get the shape, I covered most of my lips (except for the very centre) with the NYX jumbo eye pencil in Milk and then set the edges with Sugarpill Tako. I then lined and filled in my lips with a combination of NYX Lip pencils in Hot Red and Plush Red. For the lipstick I had to of course go with NARS Heatwave and then pressed a bit of MAC Pro longwear lipstick in Prolong onto the centre of my lips. `

I only covered the area around my eye and my lips white so using the NYX Jumbo eye pencil was fine but if i was to do my whole face I would have used a white face paint. This is a much better option if you’re going to a costume party or something like that because the face paint is more opaque and definitely more long lasting.

Also check out this look by Lilit over at Makeup and Macaroons because she did an awesome job!

Categories: EOTD, May FOTD Challenge

12 Comments on “EOTD Challenge: Geisha”

1. May 5, 2011 at 4:13 AM #

Looks great! You and Lilit have both done amazing jobs xoxo

2. May 5, 2011 at 4:57 AM #

I love the eyes πŸ˜€ and the red lips of course πŸ™‚ Awesome!x0x0lifelittlesurprises.blogspot.com

3. May 5, 2011 at 5:10 AM #

Megan: Thanks! I love Lilit's look, she captured the geisha look awesomely! Are you going to be giving it a go?Aiko: Thank you πŸ˜€

4. May 5, 2011 at 9:34 AM #

Whoa πŸ˜€ you are so talented! πŸ˜€

5. May 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM #

This looks absolutely stunning, you have done an amazing job on the liner, so crisp and precise. Very inspiring x

6. May 6, 2011 at 2:29 AM #

Aww thanks Ki! You're making me blush πŸ™‚ Sara-May: Thank you! That means alot! Your challenges are really making me reconsider my 'no full face shots' policy.

7. May 6, 2011 at 4:19 AM #

Oh wow, you did an amazing job on the eyes imo! Doing that line just under the eye is no easy task because the skin is soooo soft and just moves with the brush 😦 So you did a great job!

8. May 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM #

Thanks so much πŸ˜€ That is the most annoying place to put liner! I did it for another look and it's so hard to be precise around there so thanks for noticing πŸ™‚

9. May 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM #

This is sooo great. I may have to steal this and enter it as an entry for my charity challenge. xxAlicia

10. May 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM #

I was actually thinking of entering it but I thought it was over by now. If it's still going then steal away! πŸ˜€

11. May 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM #

i love how you draw your eyelines. so precise and pretty!

12. May 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM #

prettymom: Thanks you so much πŸ™‚ This was so easy to do except for the liner which was a bit of a pain!