EOTD Challenge: Bridal with a pop of colour

This is an EOTD for Sara-May’s ‘May 2011 FOTD Challenge’. As the title says, todays look was bridal with a pop of colour and I think it’s such a great idea for a look. The only hard part is trying to figure out how to incorporate that pop of colour into the look.

I decided to take my inspiration from a post that Karlasugar did last month about Essie’s bridal collection for spring 2011. One of the colours in the collection was called Borrowed and Blue and Karla had written about how it was a cute idea to have your ‘something blue’ on your wedding day be in the form of your nailpolish. It got me thinking about other unusual ways to incorporate blue and of course my mind went to makeup!

I really wanted today’s EOTD to have a pop of blue but I wanted to stay away from my usual pop of bright liner on the bottom lashline so I went with blue as part of the lid colour. The only problem is that the picture I had in my head didn’t really translate into what you see in the pics below.

The problem was that bridal to me means soft and neutral so I went with MAC Brule, Naked pigment and Soba on the main part of the lid but the Naked pigment overpowered and it got really white! This wouldn’t be so bad on someone fairer than me but it looks pretty stark on my skin tone. I might attempt this look again in daylight when I can properly see what I’m doing because I think this idea has potential and it was just the execution that sucked.

Let me know if you have any suggestions on better lid colours to pair with the blue. By the way, the blue was a mixture of Sugarpill Afterparty (which you know I LOVE) and MAC Atlantic blue and Contrast as well as a bit of Tilt to merge the brigher blue with the neutral colours.

Categories: EOTD

9 Comments on “EOTD Challenge: Bridal with a pop of colour”

1. May 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM #

This is very pretty! πŸ™‚ I don't wear too many blues, so I can't really offer much advice but I can see this looking great on many a bride! πŸ™‚

2. May 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM #

LOVE this. it's not too outrageous, perfect for an everyday look! totally trying it out tomorrow! πŸ™‚

3. May 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM #

Gorgeous!

4. May 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM #

I agree it's a cute idea to have a pop of blue in your eye makeup as 'something blue'.I love this look. Other colours I think will go nicely is that soft goldy bronze colour from NARS Rajasthan duo

5. May 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM #

that's quite lovely, i'd wear that to my wedding πŸ™‚ i don't think that it looks bad on your complexion, stands out and looks good. πŸ™‚

6. May 4, 2011 at 11:26 PM #

Gorgeous! x

7. May 5, 2011 at 2:13 AM #

Ki: Thanks! I can't see myself wearing blue on my wedding day but there's got to be brides out there that have/would.Rach: Thanks so much! I wore this look out to dinner last night except I paired the blue with a more taupe/silvery shade (MAC Smoke and Diamonds) on the lid and it looked great!Jennifer: Thank you :DJen: Thanks for the rec's! I don't have that duo (I kept going between yes and no when it came out then decided I didn't need it) but bronzes/golds are definitely more my thing! I think I'll try it paired with Woodwinked.Vonnie: Thank you! Lol I think I should stop saying so many negative things about my looks when I post them up. Tanisa: Thank you so much πŸ™‚

8. May 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM #

It looks lovely, a really pretty and ever so slightly sultry look, I think it would be very appropriate for an evening wedding! x

9. May 6, 2011 at 2:30 AM #

Sara-May: Thanks! It definitely look like more of an evening wedding look in person.