Smokey Periwinkle EOTD

I stopped by Inglot the other day because I wanted to make up another palette but I just didn’t know where to start so I decided to try again another day. In the meantime, it felt strange to leave without buying something so I picked up an eyeshadow (#379) which is a periwinkle shade and is matte. I think it looks like a matte version of Satellite Dreams from MAC but correct me if I’m wrong.

I really love the colour but since it’s so cold and a bit dreary in Melbourne at the moment, I thought I’d use it in a bit of a darker look. To do this I just used the colour over a black base and I loved the result and have been wearing a lot of my bright blues, purples and greens this way. It always amazes me how different a shade can look depending on what you layer it over.

Check out the swatch below:

The swatch on the left is the shadow on its own and on the right it’s swiped over a black base.

Here’s the look that I came up with:

Here’s what I used:
MAC Blackground Paint Pot all over the lid just up to the crease and avoiding the inner corner
Inglot #379 eyeshadow all over the lid just up to the crease
MAC Smoke and Diamonds eyeshadow on inner corner of lid
MAC Nylon eyeshadow around tear duct
Inglot matte black eyeshadow (sorry don’t know the number) on the outer v and slightly into the crease
MAC Soft Brown eyeshadow to blend out the crease
Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara on top and bottom lashes
Rimmel Exaggerate liquid eyeliner on top lashline
Guerlain Terracotta Loose Powder Kohl in Noir on the waterline
I also brought the black eyeshadow onto the bottom lashline and topped it with the periwinkle shade eyeshadow.

I wore this look to an engagement party the other night but I just added some silver around the inner corner and added some fake lashes to kick the drama up a notch. If I were to try this again the only thing I would skip is the loose kohl on the waterline because you might notice that I have some of it on my eyeball in some pictures. Lol that sounds gross but it’s actually really hard to tightline with loose powder kohl without getting it in your eye!

Categories: EOTD

10 Comments on “Smokey Periwinkle EOTD”

1. April 4, 2011 at 8:45 AM #

Oh wow, i'm absolutely loving that look. I really like it over the black base, gives it such a nice intense look. I think I have the exact colour from Inglot but I've only ever worn it on it's own without a black base and tell you the truth not liked it much… over black is a diff story! Thanks for the look!Lilitxx

2. April 4, 2011 at 8:52 AM #

Lilit: Thanks! To be honest, I bought it because it was 50% off but I thought it would make a good transition shade between purples and blues.I can definitely see myself getting more use out of it when layered over a dark base and it looks lovely paired with silver and grey shades. You should definitely give it another a go πŸ™‚

3. April 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM #

That is so pretty!! I am not a big fan of loose shadows and liners, they are just too complicated for me! hahaha

4. April 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM #

wow i love how the colour changes when applied on a black base. im loving tho look! gonna try it out soon..thanks for the inspiration πŸ™‚

5. April 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM #

i love it on its own, quite a stunning color.

6. April 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM #

I love your eye looks… I bow down to you blendmaster!

7. April 6, 2011 at 12:24 AM #

Stunning! Beyond envious of your eyemakeup application skills. Amazingxx emmabovary

8. April 6, 2011 at 12:29 AM #

LOVE this eye look! I'm goign to start using my MAC Blackground paint pot as a smokey eye base now

9. April 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM #

Aseya: OMG I feel the same way! I bought the loose kohl because the bottle looked so pretty but I think I've maybe used it twice since I bought it. Lol it's just far too messy! ShazreeyanaShukri: You're welcome πŸ™‚ A black base makes most colours look more complex and intense so definitely try it out!Vonnie: The colour is lovely but it's more of a spring and summer shade to me so I've been liking it over the black for autumn :)jtloveitorhateit: Lol why thank you! I wouldn't ever consider myself a 'blendmaster' but I'm flattered all the same! :DEmma: Thanks so much! I think I've come along way but I definitely have a lot to learn :)Jen: Ever since I bought Blackground I haven't used anything else for a smokey eye base. I'd love to see some EOTD's when you try it out πŸ™‚

10. April 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM #

Lovely eyes you had choose here. I like the presentation of your blog here. Very interesting stuff included in it.eyelift