Meagan Good inspired neutral look

Someone recently commented on my blog asking for recommendations on how to get this look worn by Meagan Good. I looked at the picture and thought it looked a bit unusual but very simple so I thought I’d do a post on it.

The main element in this look is the use of the light beige pencil all around the eye but especially concentrated around the tear duct. I think the person who commented wanted to use Stila Topaz for this look and I tried it but I didn’t like it. I’ve already posted about the Stila Topaz Kajal liner before and I’ve said that the colour and the extreme creaminess made it unworkable for me on the water line. After trying it again I’ve also decided I don’t like it around the tear duct. It’s so creamy that I couldn’t get a very precise application of it and I found it had too much of a peach undertone.

Of course this is totally personal preference but I’ve found that beige and yellow toned highlighters work better around the tear duct for me than anything that has more of a pink base such as the Stila Topaz pencil. I decided to try the MAC Chromagraphic pencil in NW15/NC30 instead and it worked really well. It’s not too soft so you can get a precise application but it’s also soft enough that you can easily smudge it out if you need to.

Here’s the version I ended up with:

Here’s what I used:

MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot (light beige) all over the eye from lid to brow bone
MAC Naked Dark pigment all over the eye from lid to brow bone except I applied it more sheerly from the crease up while I packed the colour on the lid
MAC Chromagraphic Pencil in NW25/NC30 (light beige) around the tear duct, on the waterline and smudged along the top lash line
MAC Embark eyeshadow (dark brown) to define the crease and around the tear duct

MAC Blacktrack Fluidline smudged along the bottom lashline and then to draw a flick

I was actually surprised by how flattering this look was and I think it would look fantastic paired with NARS Taj Mahal blush, which is a rust orange colour, on the cheeks and some clear gloss on the lips. If you’re of a lighter skin tone then just use a lighter coloured pencil or even a white one and if you’re darker then just use a more tan coloured pencil such as the MAC Chromagraphic pencil in NW35/NC42.

What do you think of the look? Can you see yourself wearing something like this? Leave me a comment below!

Categories: eye

6 Comments on “Meagan Good inspired neutral look”

1. February 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM #

Ooh I really like that look, it looks so soft and natural yet really striking!

2. February 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM #

Lilit: It's an interesting look and I think Meagan pulls it off really well. It reminds me of a really toned down version of Cleopatra's makeup. I think it's the exaggerated flick that's got me thinking of Ancient Egypt 🙂

3. February 20, 2011 at 2:28 PM #

I love the MAC Chromagraphic Pencil on you!I wish i got one 😐

4. February 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM #

Jennifer: You should get it! It's got a really great texture and it works well as a subtle highlighter. I'm fairly certain the chromagraphic pencils are still available but only at Pro stores. 🙂

5. February 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM #

Bug: Thanks for doing the look i asked for!! n Mac is available in India! so yay!!Altho… i have a feeling dat something with a more peachy undertone would be more flattering on my skin. Do you think it would work with "benefits" eye bright as well??

6. February 21, 2011 at 1:43 AM #

Naomi D: You're welcome :)I think you should go to MAC or a department store that has a lot of different brands and check out what colours they have and what works best with your skin tone.I don't own the Benefit eye bright but I looked at swatches online and it seems like it's an icy pink colour rather than peach. It seems like it's best for fair skin tones so if you're very fair then check it out. I just don't want to recommend something though when I haven't tried it myself. Hope that help 🙂