Smokey Blue with a Pop of Gold

I bought some blue eyeshadows from MAC a few weeks ago and I’ve been wanting to use them in a look. The colours I bought are pictured below. They are (clockwise from top left): Tilt, Prussian, Contrast and Deep Truth. They’re all really beautiful shades and I especially love Contrast and Deep Truth because they’re such rich shades.

I tried a few blue smokey eye looks but there was just too much blue so they all became unwearable, at least for me. I decided to try adding a golden honey shade to the centre of my lid to break up all the blue and this is the look I came up with. This is a different way of doing a smokey eye than what I’m used to but I think it’s a good way to make unwearble shades more wearable.

Here’s what I used:

MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot all over the eye from lid to brow bone
Too Faced Velvet Revolver eye shadow all over the eye from lid to brow bone
MAC Prussian eye shadow on inner and outer third of lid
MAC Deep Truth and Contrast eye shadows on inner and outer third of lid
Too Faced Honey Pot eye shadow on centre of lid
MAC Tilt eye shadow blended around the edges of the gold colour
MAC Soft Brown eye shadow to blend out the crease
Shisedio ‘The Makeup’ fine eyeliner to line top lashline
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on eye pencil in Binge on the water line
Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara on top and bottom lashesI also applied eye shadow to my bottom lashline and followed the pattern that was on the lid. I used a mixture of the three dark blue shadows on both ends of the lashline, then I used Tilt eyeshadow next to these and Honey Pot eye shadow on the centre of the bottom lash line.

Tags:

Categories: eye, smokey eye

14 Comments on “Smokey Blue with a Pop of Gold”

1. January 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM #

So beautiful! You are so good with color!!

2. January 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM #

Thanks πŸ˜€ I'm still in the learning stage of eyeshadow application but it's fun playing around with all these bright colours. That's what I love about having a blog, it gives me an excuse to try looks I might not be brave enough to wear outside of my bedroom just yet.

3. January 24, 2011 at 12:52 AM #

Ooh I love this look. Tutorial please!!!What lip colour? nudish?I think you need to start doing full face looks!xx

4. January 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM #

So pretty! I'm a huge HUGE fan of wearing blue eyeshadow, and your wearable interpretation is just beautiful. :)Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a big fan of your looks, too! I'm really liking your makeup style.

5. January 24, 2011 at 1:00 PM #

Suga: Thanks but somewhat anonymity is the name of the game at the moment πŸ˜‰ I'd definitely go nude lips but peachy nude instead of pinky nude. I may put a tutorial up later in the week. xoxoArianne: Thanks so much! Blue is definitely becoming my new eyeshadow obsession and especially jewel toned blues. Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

6. January 27, 2011 at 3:32 AM #

Wow – absolutely stunning! I love the blue shades on you! Definitely will be following your blog!

7. January 27, 2011 at 4:23 AM #

Thanks! With blues this pretty though I think they'll look great on anyone. Thanks for following πŸ™‚

8. February 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM #

Bug- you are incredible. hand on heart this is my favourite eye look I have EVER seen on a blog, I am mesmerised by it, it is gorgeous! i am your newest follower, your blog is reallyfab, love your indepth reviews- really handy. I too am on the Clarisonic at the mo- love the Nars brush, and found the blending sponges great but take me too long too do!looking forward to more you of your stuffBxwww.beautyh2t.com

9. February 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM #

BeautyH2T: Wow thanks for the lovely compliments πŸ˜€ i really appreciate them even if I don't know if I necessarily deserve them!I'm loving the Clarisonic and i was just thinking how weird it is how quickly you can get hooked on something! I've only been using it for a few weeks but when I realised the battery had died on mine tonight I felt weird having to wash my face without it! Thanks for commenting πŸ˜€

10. January 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM #

This looks just amazing! Such a beautiful eyes!!

• January 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM #

Thanks Lys πŸ™‚

11. January 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM #

Great eye makeup!

12. April 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM #

Gorgeous! I’m going to have to go try this now πŸ˜›

• April 13, 2014 at 9:24 PM #

I’ve been thinking of recreating this as well since I only ever tried it once for this post!